What is hemoglobin electrophoresis?
Hemoglobin is a protein in your red blood cells that carries oxygen from your lungs to the relaxation of your physique. There are many various sorts of hemoglobin. Hemoglobin electrophoresis is a exam that steps the various sorts of hemoglobin in the blood. It also appears for irregular sorts of hemoglobin.
Regular sorts of hemoglobin contain:
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) A, the most frequent kind of hemoglobin in healthful adults
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) F, fetal hemoglobin. This kind of hemoglobin is found in unborn babies and newborns. HgbF is replaced by HgbA soon immediately after beginning.
If amounts of HgbA or HgbF are too superior or too minimal, it can point out certain sorts of anemia.
Irregular sorts of hemoglobin contain:
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) S. This kind of hemoglobin is found in sickle mobile condition. Sickle mobile condition is an inherited problem that brings about the physique to make stiff, sickle-shaped red blood cells. Healthful red blood cells are versatile so they can move simply via blood vessels. Sickle cells can get trapped in the blood vessels, leading to serious and serious agony, bacterial infections, and other difficulties.
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) C. This kind of hemoglobin does not have oxygen perfectly. It can lead to a mild sort of anemia.
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) E. This kind of hemoglobin is primarily found in folks of Southeast Asian descent. Folks with HgbE generally have no indicators or mild indicators of anemia.
A hemoglobin electrophoresis exam applies an electric powered recent to a blood sample. This separates typical and irregular sorts of hemoglobin. Each and every kind of hemoglobin can then be measured independently.
Other names: Hb electrophoresis, hemoglobin analysis, hemoglobinopathy analysis, hemoglobin fractionation, Hb ELP, sickle mobile display screen