Erectile dysfunction: Nonoral therapies
Oral remedies aren’t the only way to take care of erectile dysfunction. Know the total variety of treatment choices and how they work.
By Mayo Clinic Employees
If you have erectile dysfunction and can’t acquire specific oral remedies or if oral therapies aren’t effective, you have other treatment choices.
Recognize why you could opt for a nonoral treatment for erectile dysfunction and how these various therapies work.
When oral remedies could not be risk-free
Not all guys can properly acquire erectile dysfunction oral remedies, this sort of as sildenafil (Viagra), vardenafil (Levitra, Staxyn), tadalafil (Cialis) and avanafil (Stendra). Remedies for erectile dysfunction could not work or could be dangerous if you:
- Get nitrate medicine generally approved for chest agony (angina)
- Have extremely low blood force (hypotension) or uncontrolled significant blood force (hypertension)
- Have critical liver condition
- Have kidney condition that needs dialysis
Some guys could also opt for yet another treatment alternative to keep away from the side results induced by specific oral remedies.
Other styles of remedies
Nonoral remedies for erectile dysfunction include:
Self-injections. Quite a few remedies are generally injected directly into the penis to achieve an erection. The most usually applied remedies include alprostadil, papaverine, and phentolamine. With this technique, you use a fine needle to inject the remedies into the base or side of your penis.
The purpose of injection therapies is to develop an erection that lasts about twenty to 40 minutes. If an erection lasts for a longer time than a person hour, you will have to have to have the treatment or dose altered to keep away from potentially lengthy-time period difficulties. Due to the fact the needle applied is extremely fine, agony from the injection internet site is commonly insignificant.
Facet results can include bleeding from the injection, extended erection (priapism) and development of fibrous tissue within the penis or at the injection internet site.
Alprostadil urethral suppository. Alprostadil intraurethral (Muse) therapy consists of inserting a small alprostadil suppository inside of your penis in the penile urethra. You use a distinctive applicator to insert the suppository into your penile urethra.
The erection commonly commences within ten minutes and lasts among 30 and sixty minutes. Facet results can include agony, insignificant bleeding in the urethra and development of fibrous tissue inside of your penis.
Testosterone substitute. Some guys have erectile dysfunction that could be intricate by low levels of the hormone testosterone. In this scenario, testosterone substitute therapy could be proposed as the initial step.
Testosterone substitute therapy can be delivered by using injection, patch, gel, gum and cheek (buccal cavity), intranasal, subcutaneous pellet, or oral treatment. Speak to your doctor about your individual desire and the probable side results.
Penis pumps, operation and implants
If remedies aren’t effective or correct in your scenario, your doctor could advocate a various treatment. Other therapies include:
Penis pumps. A penis pump (vacuum erection unit) is a hollow tube with a hand-powered or battery-powered pump. The tube is put around your penis, and then the pump is applied to suck out the air inside of the tube. This results in a vacuum that pulls blood into your penis.
The moment you get an erection, you slip a rigidity ring about the base of your penis to maintain in the blood and keep it organization. You then clear away the vacuum unit.
The erection typically lasts lengthy ample for a few to have sex. You clear away the rigidity ring soon after intercourse. Bruising of the penis is a probable side influence, and ejaculation will be limited by the band. Your penis could experience chilly to the touch.
If a penis pump is a great treatment option for you, your doctor could advocate or prescribe a distinct model.
Penile implants. This treatment consists of surgically inserting equipment into both equally sides of the penis. These implants consist of both inflatable or semirigid rods. Inflatable equipment let you to manage when and how lengthy you have an erection. The semirigid rods keep your penis organization but bendable.
Penile implants are commonly not proposed right up until other solutions have been tried initial. Implants have a significant degree of pleasure amongst guys who have tried and unsuccessful far more-conservative therapies. As with any operation, there is certainly a possibility of difficulties, this sort of as an infection.
- Blood vessel operation. Rarely, erectile dysfunction is dealt with by bypassing obstructed penile arteries. This is uncommon, nonetheless, and is only proposed in a compact percentage of guys.
Battery-powered penis pump for erectile dysfunction
Battery-powered penis pump for erectile dysfunction
A penis pump is applied to draw blood into the penis to produce an erection. You then position a rubber ring about the base of the penis to manage the erection.
If your erectile dysfunction is induced by strain, nervousness or melancholy — or the ailment is creating strain and partnership rigidity — your doctor could suggest that you, or you and your lover, go to a psychologist or counselor.
You should not disregard the underlying induce
Obtaining good treatment for the underlying induce of erectile dysfunction could assistance stop relevant health challenges and improve sexual functionality. Conditions that can induce or worsen erectile dysfunction include:
- Coronary heart condition
- Diabetic issues
- Weight problems
- Psychological problems
- Alcoholism and other types of compound abuse
- Tobacco use
If you have erectile dysfunction, you might be not alone — and you have numerous treatment choices. Perform with your doctor to discover which erectile dysfunction treatment could work greatest for you.
July 02, 2021
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Evaluation and management of erectile dysfunction. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 5, 2016.
- Ferri FF. Erectile dysfunction. In: Ferri’s Clinical Advisor 2019. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier 2019. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May perhaps 28, 2019.
- Cunningham GR, et al. Overview of male sexual dysfunction. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed May perhaps 28, 2019.
- Khera M, et al. Remedy of male sexual dysfunction. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed May perhaps 28, 2019.
- Schwartz BG, et al. Drug interactions with phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors applied for the treatment of erectile dysfunction or pulmonary hypertension. Circulation. 2010122:88.
- Erectile dysfunction. National Institute of Diabetic issues and Digestive and Kidney Ailments. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-details/urologic-illnesses/erectile-dysfunction. Accessed May perhaps 28, 2019.
- Lazarou S. Surgical treatment of erectile dysfunction. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed May perhaps 28, 2019.
See far more In-depth