Calcium channel blockers
These medications lessen blood pressure and deal with other situations these types of as chest soreness and an irregular heartbeat.
By Mayo Clinic Personnel
Calcium channel blockers are medications employed to lessen blood pressure. They function by blocking calcium from moving into the cells of the coronary heart and arteries. Calcium results in the coronary heart and arteries to squeeze (deal) far more strongly. By blocking calcium, calcium channel blockers make it possible for blood vessels to rest and open up.
Some calcium channel blockers can also gradual the coronary heart rate, which can more lessen blood pressure. The medications may also be recommended to alleviate chest soreness (angina) and command an irregular heartbeat.
Calcium channel blockers are also named calcium antagonists.
Examples of calcium channel blockers
Calcium channel blockers are offered in shorter-performing and long-performing types. Small-performing medications function speedily, but their consequences last only a number of hrs. Very long-performing medications are slowly unveiled to supply a for a longer time lasting result. Which one is greatest for you is dependent on your well being and the situation becoming addressed.
Examples of calcium channel blockers incorporate:
- Amlodipine (Norvasc)
- Diltiazem (Cardizem, Tiazac, other people)
- Nifedipine (Procardia)
- Nisoldipine (Sular)
- Verapamil (Calan SR, Verelan)
Sometimes, a medical doctor may possibly prescribe a calcium channel blocker with other superior blood pressure medications or with cholesterol-decreasing medication these types of as statins.
When calcium channel blockers are employed
In addition to becoming employed to deal with superior blood pressure, a medical doctor also may prescribe calcium channel blockers to reduce, deal with or strengthen signs and symptoms of situations, these types of as:
- Coronary artery ailment
- Chest soreness (angina)
- Irregular heartbeats (arrhythmia)
- Blood vessel situations, these types of as Raynaud’s ailment
For blacks and more mature persons, calcium channel blockers may possibly function superior than other blood pressure medications, these types of as beta blockers, angiotensin-changing enzyme (ACE) inhibitors or angiotensin II receptor blockers.
Side consequences of calcium channel blockers may incorporate:
- Speedy heartbeat (palpitations)
- Inflammation in the ft and lessen legs
Prevent grapefruit merchandise although having specified calcium channel blockers. Grapefruit juice interacts with the drug and can affect coronary heart rate and blood pressure. This can induce signs and symptoms these types of as problems and dizziness.
Sept. 16, 2021
- Mann JFE. Alternative of drug therapy in main (crucial) hypertension. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/lookup. Accessed June twenty five, 2019.
- Forms of blood pressure medications. American Heart Affiliation. https://www.coronary heart.org/en/well being-subjects/superior-blood-pressure/modifications-you-can-make-to-regulate-superior-blood-pressure/forms-of-blood-pressure-medications. Accessed July 26, 2021.
- Sidawy AN, et al., eds. Atherosclerotic chance variables: Hypertension. In: Rutherford’s Vascular Surgical treatment and Endovascular Therapy. ninth ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier 2019. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July eleven, 2019.
- Bakris GL, et al. Calcium channel blockers. In: Hypertension: A Companion to Braunwald’s Heart Illness. third ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Saunders 2018. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 19, 2019.
- Aronson JK, ed. Calcium channel blockers. In: Meyler’s Side Consequences of Medicines. sixteenth ed. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 19, 2019.
- Block MJ, et al. Significant side consequences and basic safety of calcium channel blockers. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/lookup. Accessed July 19, 2019.
See far more In-depth