Breast-feeding past infancy: What you need to have to know
Curious about breast-feeding past infancy? Know the positive aspects, the job breast milk plays in an older baby’s diet regime and how to manage others’ viewpoints on the subject matter.
By Mayo Clinic Staff
You’ve breast-fed your baby for a 12 months. Congratulations!
If you system to proceed breast-feeding your baby, you may possibly have questions about the procedure. Get the details about breast-feeding past infancy.
Is breast-feeding past infancy encouraged?
The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests special breast-feeding for the initially 6 months immediately after beginning — and breast-feeding in mix with sound foodstuff till at least age one. Soon after that, breast-feeding is encouraged as lengthy as you and your baby would like to proceed.
What are the positive aspects of breast-feeding past infancy?
The positive aspects of breast-feeding past infancy for a baby contain:
- Balanced nutrition. Breast milk is thought of the gold standard for infant nutrition. There is certainly no recognised age at which breast milk is thought of to develop into nutritionally insignificant for a baby.
- Boosted immunity. As lengthy as you breast-feed, the cells, hormones and antibodies in your breast milk will proceed to bolster your kid’s immune procedure.
The positive aspects of breast-feeding past infancy for a mother contain:
- Lessened possibility of selected diseases. Breast-feeding for 12 months or a lot more cumulatively in daily life has been proven to decrease the possibility of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, superior blood tension, heart disorder and diabetic issues.
What job does breast milk participate in in an older baby’s diet regime?
It relies upon on how a lot breast milk your baby is consuming.
Soon after age one, a baby may possibly proceed regularly consuming a reasonable sum of breast milk. As a outcome, breast milk will proceed to be a resource of vitamins for him or her. Other children, nonetheless, may possibly use sound foodstuff to satisfy their nutritional wants and want only tiny amounts of breast milk.
If you have questions about your kid’s diet regime or the job breast milk may possibly participate in in it as he or she grows, speak to your kid’s medical professional.
Will breast-feeding past infancy make the weaning procedure a lot more hard?
It is really normally simplest to begin weaning when your baby initiates the procedure — which may possibly be sooner or later on than you be expecting.
Weaning normally begins naturally at about age 6 months, when sound foodstuff are normally released. Some babies begin to steadily transition from breast milk and seek out other sorts of nutrition and comfort nearer to age one. Other individuals may possibly not initiate weaning till their toddler many years, when they develop into less keen to sit even now in the course of breast-feeding.
How can I manage adverse reactions to breast-feeding past infancy?
How lengthy you breast-feed is up to you and your baby. If liked kinds — and even strangers — share their viewpoints about when to wean, remind them that the final decision is yours. Attempt not to get worried about what other men and women feel. Instead, believe in your instincts.
Breast-feeding past infancy can be an personal way to proceed nurturing your baby. If you’re contemplating breast-feeding past infancy, feel about what is best for the two you and your baby — and enjoy this distinctive time together.April fifteen, 2020
- Your tutorial to breastfeeding. Workplace on Women’s Wellness. http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/breastfeeding-tutorial/. Accessed Jan. three, 2020.
- Johnston M, et al. Breastfeeding and the use of human milk. Pediatrics. 2012 doi:10.1542/peds.2011-3552.
- Gabbe SG, et al., eds. Lactation and breastfeeding. In: Obstetrics: Usual and Difficulty Pregnancies. seventh ed. Elsevier 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 7, 2020.
- Meek JY, ed. Breastfeeding past infancy. In: The American Academy of Pediatrics New Mother’s Guidebook to Breastfeeding. 3rd ed. Bantam Guides 2017.
See a lot more In-depth