Dry mouth is a frequent symptom of Sjögren’s syndrome, as well as other diseases like diabetic issues and HIV/AIDS. Devoid of plenty of saliva, or spit, it can be tricky to split down food stuff, swallow, and take treatment of your tooth.
The Countrywide Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Analysis answers 5 frequent issues about dry mouth and Sjögren’s syndrome to enable you navigate this tricky issue.
Is dry mouth a typical component of getting older?
No, dry mouth is not component of the getting older system by itself. Even so, as men and women age, several may acquire conditions that have an impact on earning saliva and they may take remedies that can dry out the mouth.
What can induce dry mouth?
- Prescription drugs. Dry mouth is a aspect impact of several kinds of remedies, such as these for despair, allergic reactions and colds, and significant blood pressure.
- Dehydration. Dehydration occurs when you eliminate a lot more fluids than you take in. Men and women of all ages can turn into dehydrated, but more mature grownups are particularly vulnerable to it.
- Radiation treatment. Salivary glands can be damaged if they are uncovered to radiation during most cancers treatment.
- Chemotherapy. Medicine applied to deal with most cancers can make saliva thicker, creating the mouth to experience dry.
- Personal injury to the head or neck. A head or neck harm can hurt the nerves that tell salivary glands to make saliva.
What can I do about dry mouth?
Pay a visit to your dentist or health care provider, who will test to figure out the induce and may:
- Counsel shifting, or modifying the dosage of, a medicine. But do not make any changes to your remedies before speaking with your dentist or health care provider.
- Prescribe remedies to improve saliva.
- Advocate utilizing synthetic saliva.
Does dry mouth place me at danger for tooth decay?
Yes. Since saliva protects in opposition to tooth decay, acquiring a lot less saliva can place you at danger. Retain your tooth nutritious by:
- Brushing at the very least twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Flossing routinely.
- Checking out your dentist at the very least twice a year. You can ask your dentist if you have to have a prescription-strength fluoride gel or rinse to enable protect against cavities.
If I have Sjögren’s, what can my dentist endorse?
To secure your tooth, your dentist may endorse:
- Employing fluoride pastes, mouth rinses, gels, foams, or varnishes
- Consuming adequate quantities of h2o (eight to 12 eight-ounce glasses just about every day)
- Stimulating saliva generation utilizing sugarless lozenges, chewing gums, candies made up of xylitol, or remedies these kinds of as pilocarpine and cevimeline
- Implementing chlorhexidine, which can kill microorganisms
- Employing a calcium phosphate rinse to mend tooth enamel